About this having a blog thing, I've decided that it presents some interesting quandries for me. I desire the anonymity of being able to bitch about classmates and coworkers, clients, family, and inlaws, but realize that it wouldn't be a large leap for someone to figure out who I am. Especially considering that my hubby's blog is a lot more popular than mine, and he keeps pestering to link to me.
So, in honor of stream of consciousness, let's switch topics. I have been writing a paper on my approach and conceptualization of cases in therapy, and for some reason I feel the need to share an excerpt on psychodynamic theory and appraoches to therapy.
For some reason, it seems that communicating my emerging theory for formulation of cases must begin with my view of sin as a Christian. Sin, this three letter “dirty” word in our society, is at the root of all suffering, pain, and problems of living. While personal responsibility for sin cannot be denied and must be addressed, this is not the sin of which I write. No, it is the state of sin in which we live, the force of sin that influences every moment of human existence that is integral to understanding the problems that clients present.
An object lesson best communicates what I mean by the “force of sin” in the lives of individuals. For a moment, consider a client named Mary. Let us say that Mary’s one purpose in life is to hold a rather large stone in her hand with her arm extended away from her body. Once Mary uncovers that this is her purpose, she could commit countless individual sins. She may decide never to pick up the stone, or at times pick it up only to set it down again. Mary could hold something other than the stone in her outstretched hand, or do things with the stone other than merely hold it. But, one thing is for certain, even if Mary picks up the stone and holds it outstretched, her arm will grow weary. She will constantly struggle against a force that pulls her arm and the stone it holds toward the ground. No matter how much she desires to hold up that stone, how dedicated she is to holding up the stone, or how good her intentions may be, gravity is constantly working to fatigue her and eventually she will fail. Sin is the gravity of all our lives.
It is because sin is the pervasive force of all humankind, that I feel psychodynamic approaches are the primary means by which I conceptualize cases. Psychodynamic theory allows for the losses that we all invariably suffer. It begins in childhood when, from the moment of birth, we must learn to mourn the loss of the perfect parent or the perfect union with a parent. For if even our parents, the formative relationships to who we are to become, are fallen from the start, how do we expect the rest of humankind to be any less fallen?
The pain evident in birth continues throughout life. An empathic failure here, a rejection there, an unmet need or desire elsewhere, all lead to a continued need to mourn the losses of living in an existence that is never free from the force of sin. But, part and parcel with falleness comes the reality that losses are often ignored, viewed as weakness, or treated in other damaging ways. Sometimes the force of sin becomes so pervasive that we might even force others to create patterns of relating that would never occur otherwise. At its worst, the gravity of sin makes an us capable of distorting God and incapable of receiving His grace and forgiveness for our state of sin.
Therefore, in treatment, it becomes crucial to enable clients to identify and mourn losses. Whether or not a client acknowledges that these losses are the result of sinfulness is not the point. Rather, facilitating the process of loss, bereavement, and recovery, can facilitate the relief of guilt, the acceptance of grace, and instill hope that true change can be made. I feel that, except in rare cases, a clinician’s main purpose is to help a client clarify losses, acknowledge and mourn those losses, and to deal with what really exists in the place of hoped for perfection. It is only then that a client may stop desperately repeating the same unhealthy patterns of relating and receiving the same deflating results.Enjoy...until next time....

2 comments:
I wouldn't post this except that you seem to be looking at this from a Christian perspective. Had you thought about this?: What we are to do is to recognize that we can't hold the stone up at ALL without God's forgivness for our previous sins. We then can ask Jesus to live in our heart, who can then give us the power to hold up the stone. This is supernatural power that comes from him living inside us and making us a new person who is born again. Although we may have bad days, and stray from the path, at least we are on a path to begin with. God can give us the power to do right, if we give our lives to him. Sure, recognizing loss may have positive value, but the roots come from repentance, salvation, and putting on the "new man", as the Apostle Paul puts it.
Cordially,
JG
Well, the thing is that most of the people of this world are holding up their rock and *appearing* to do well with it. Humans seem to be especially bad at being vulnerable and admitting our inability to do anything on our own. All the same, I am not so sure that becoming a Christian means that we're imbued with some special ability to not be affected by sin.
Sin does reign in this world, regardless of our faith in Christ. Otherwise, how why would we have the following passage in Romans:
14We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do–this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
Post a Comment