Friday, September 23, 2005

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Okay, so I avoided posting this, but since I talked about the topic today with my advisor, and Zalm and his friend posted on it, I guess it's time to process my own journey with this topic.

Here is the invitation of Jim:
Here's where you come in. I invite you to share your reaction to the following statement, as well as your thoughts regarding the juxtaposition of this statement with.. Philippians 2 Ready? Here goes:

To love others you must first love yourself.



For the past two and half odd years, I have been on an incredible journey. It has been scary and rocky. God basically took who I thought I was and showed me that it was all an illusion. Through a painful bout of depression, I began to see that I truly did not know God very well, and even more so, I hated myself. I felt as if God didn't love me because I hadn't really even tried to seek him out in a long time. I regained a lot of weight (and still have it). I went from being a die hard RepubliChristian to something that I'm not quite sure of yet. I became a psychologist and theologian. I left all I knew with my relatively new husband to come 700 miles away to the Artic Chicago winters. And God somehow finally got me to listen.

So, lately, I've really been struggling with why I feel so discombobulated with myself. I feel stuck between Brandon's Ethic of Outrage and feeling called to graciousness. So I went to see said advisor above. He's an amazing person. They type of guy who can say, "Grace to you, grace to you, grace to you." and it not sound hokey, contrived, or odd.

So, today, Derek and I were talking about what pisses me off so much about people like Slice of Laodicea and this guy, too. I want to be a person of grace, if I cannot be love these neighbors, then how can I think myself any different than they are?

The question becomes, who is my neighbor? The story of the Samaritan, who is the neighbor? I cannot be a neighbor to someone else by my own strength. I will fail. It becomes arrogance, if we attempt to love our neighbor of our own accord. It takes God's strength and provision to reflect the character of Philippians 2.

But why am I feeling so completely unneighborly these days? And the answer is, that I myself do not accept that God accepts me. It is not that I must love myself in order to love others. No, it is that I must know that I am loved in order to love others. This type of love goes way beyond the self love of psychology.

James Bryan Smith says it much better in his book, Embracing the Love of God.
God's love comes down to us, fills our hearts, and is then extended to our neighbor. When we know and feel and experience God's love, we cannot but love ourselves. This kind of self-love is nothing like the cheap form of narcissism peddled in our culture. IT is a genuine, comprehensive kind of love that is based not on what we do but on who we are.

When this love begins to penetrate our hearts, it will naturally flow out to those around us. Loving one another will be less difficult and more natural. When we realize we have been accepted as we are, we are enabled to accept others s they are. When we grasp that we have been forgiven for all that we have done, we find that we are empowered to forgive others for what they have done. When we comprehend that we are valued and cared for by God, we are provided the means to value and care for others.


So much of my own stuckness with others, such as the irritating bloggers that I mentioned earlier, stems from the fact that I feel that these people reject ideas, feelings, and God callings that are central to who I am. And because my parents are in some ways doing that very thing, I do not feel acceptance. My earthly parents cannot affirm me as I need. They fail over and over again, because they are human. It hurts that my mom does not want to read my husband's blog because, "I like my son in law, and I don't want that to change."

So, where do I get the unconditionally accepting parent that I so desperately long for and need? From accepting God's love. I make God in my own image, instead. I feel that nothing I do is good enough, right enough, etc. for God to love me the way in which I desire.

It is the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives that makes us capable of even accepting God's love, His ultimate acceptance of us. Romans 5:5 states, "God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us." It is the Holy Spirit, God within us, Love within us, that whispers that we are God's beloved. Unconditionally accepted, given a gift we did not earn, a gift that cannot be lost.

Only once I accept that God loves me ultimately and deeply, can I sit with difficult and hurting people. When I let the Holy Spirit move me to love, I can affirm the true seed of who people are, and not all the pompous fluff that they present and that offends. I can say to bigots, haters, etc. etc., "I know that you are afraid. You do not accept that you are accepted by God. Love is not in your presence because you will not embrace it. For Love casts out all fear. I have been there. I am there. I will be there. Let us share THIS so that we may embrace the Love of the Father."

The opposite of Love is not hate or anger, it is indifference and fear. So, that is why my advisor said to me over and over again today, as I cried, "Grace to you, grace to you, grace to you." I must accept that God loves me and wants me home and accepts me, like the prodigal and his elder brother. And once I accept God's love and KNOW it..then I can become like the Father (God, and as in the story of the prodigal).

We are all called to become the father in the story of the prodigal, dispensers of grace through the Holy Spirit, who is God's Love within in us.

So, no, we do not have to abandon righteous anger. For Love and Anger are not opposites. As my advisor said, "If you abandon your anger when it is righteous, you lose your prophetic voice. Your family argues with you because they sense that you are strong enough to do so, and they are not indifferent toward you. They sense there is something to what you have to say, or else they wouldn't come back for more."

So.."Grace to you, Grace to you, Grace to you."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Blogger eat your post?

I mean, the title is a good start and all, but the nothingness that follows is just a little anticlimactic.

*sigh*

I'll come back in the morning.

Nicole said...

It took a little while longer than I thought! :) Sorry for the disappointment.

Anonymous said...

Whoa. That's more like it!

I included the bit about the psychologist in my post because I thought you'd be by and I was hoping you'd put your two cents in. But wow.

I danced around this idea a little, but you really went after it with your heart and through your experiences, and it's moved me to think about this a lot more. Thanks.

Right now, though, I'm pretty tired, so any further discussion will have to wait until sometime tomorrow.

Two things that jump out at me in my sleepiness:

First, I really want to think more about this line: "The opposite of Love is not hate or anger, it is indifference and fear."

And second, I have to admit that the Holy Spirit has always been a bigass Mystery to me. I think you're right to point to it as Paul does. But I have a hard time explaining what any of that really means.

Anyhow, thanks again. More tomorrow. Good night.

Jim Jannotti said...

Nicole,

Thanks for the invite to read your post and the link to me I found when I got here.

I think you nailed it (not that my opinion means anything) and I'm probably going to quote you in my sermon:

It is not that I must love myself in order to love others. No, it is that I must know that I am loved in order to love others.

...probably right alongside Henri Nouwen or something.

Excellent thoughts.

Nicole said...

I have to say that I cannot take credit, because in my Spirituality class (isn't that neat, my doctoral psych program makes me take a spirituality class) we just read Nouwen and all sorts of other great works.

Thanks for coming by Jim. Glad Zalm linked to you.

Ninjanun said...

The opposite of Love is not hate or anger, it is indifference and fear.

I've heard this idea before, and thought it was right on the money. Think about it: to be either loving or hateful implies that there is energy exerted (often passionate energy), whereas to not care at all...wow, that really shows where I need to work on things. I have a love/hate relationship with some things (and some people!) in my life, but I know the passion is there to redeem it into pure love. But indifference...it takes a Higher Power to grow love from nothing. Thus, when I take the time to look at the things I don't care about, I'm ashamed to note that I don't care about a lot of things I know God cares about. Or, I don't care enough to do something, anyway.

Great post, Nicole! Inspired, and inspiring. I like how you walked us through it with your personal story.

Anonymous said...

Nicole, thanks for the messages. I actually have a friend coming from out of town for the weekend so thankfully I'll have some friends around me. I really appreciate it, I hope your doing alright without kevin. I'm just worried about mom but I might fly there next weekend. Just pray for my mom & sister is all. THanks friend, steph

Brandon said...

For the record, I hit on this again in my 'sunday school blogging' post.

Love your thoughts on this, Nicole.

Anonymous said...

Okay...

The opposite of Love is not hate or anger, it is indifference and fear.

This may just be semantics, but I'm not sure I agree. I think I'd be willing to say that it the opposite of love is not just hate or anger, it is also indifference and fear.

Love understood Biblically is so rich, deep, challenging and complex. Just look at the familiar 1 Cor. 13. It seems to me that this kind of love is multifaceted enough to support a pretty broad range of opposites. So I think all of the above is true and much, much more.

I don't think that really changes what you wrote, I'm just expanding on the idea a little.

About anger... I'll admit that love and anger are not always opposites. But anger is a very, very tricky thing. Most anger contains at least a tiny bit of contempt and a tiny bit of malice. It's one thing to say that righteous anger is allowed. But I wonder how often what we think is righteous anger is really, truly righteous.

I think this should make us strive to be humble and slow to anger. And it should make us ready to repent if it turns out we're wrong or if, in our anger, we hurt someone else.

Anyhow, just a few more thoughts, now that I've considered this some more. Again, this was a beautiful post, Nicole. Thanks.

Nicole said...

Zalm,

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree that anger is a very tricky thing. I do think we still must apply and examine what the Bible and Jesus had to say about anger. Be slow to anger... I think fits best in this instance as a caution.

Thanks for your response and contemplation.

Nicole

Zeke said...

Someone once told me, What if the least of God's children was you? Then, the good that you would do to yourself, you would do to Jesus. And the wrong you would do to yourself, you would do to Jesus.

Leaves precious little room for being hard on yourself. Self-hatred is a sin.

Just one more thing to beat myself up for... Damn, I'm a sinner because I beat myself up for being a sinner!

Anonymous said...

Thanks!! I think Ill return in the near future