Uh, so, I'm not talking in a spiritual God talk way. I was literally. On. Fire.
Well, I have weekly clinical supervision. And it's the day before Thanksgiving. And my supervisor lives 5 minutes away. We planned for me to go to her recently purchased townhouse for supervision while her young son napped. I show up and all is super great. But we decide we're cold. And that lighting the gas fireplace is a good idea.
Now, I've lit gas logs five bazillion times. Had them in our home growing up. So, she says, okay, the flue is open. But, either she was wrong, or it fell shut. Cause when I went to light the logs, A massive fire ball comes out of the fireplace and ENGULFS MY FUCKING HEAD. Hair on fire. Burning sensation. Screaming supervisor. I pat the fire out. Run to her bathroom, and hop into the shower.
The damage is not so bad for having one's head on fire. I did lose some hair in the front and right side, luckily my hair is kinda long, so I can cover that up. I have first degree burns on most of my face, especially the lips, nose, and right eyelid area. I have very very small eyebrows that make me look like I tweeze 'em with a weed eater. I do have eyelashes.
We spent 1.5 hours putting cold compresses on my face before she left to go buy some aloe, and I called Mr.GoingApe. Boy, that was an interesting phone call. Almost as interesting as the one to my mother.
Now, about 9 hours later, my face isn't red any longer. It is still sensitive. But the hair, so sad..the hair. That will take at least a year. At least. But I do have this cool, thank God I'm alive thing going on. And my supervisor, who is also a faculty member, will never, ever forget me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Wow. That's crazy scary.
I was on a jury once for a woman whose house had blown up when she turned on a light in her basement, not knowing that there was a gas leak. Fire, let it be said, can fuck you up. Badly.
I'm glad to hear that you were able to react quickly and that the damage doesn't sound as bad as it could have been. I hope you can relax this weekend and that it doesn't hurt worse tomorrow than it does today.
Thanks Zalm! It was scary, but I'm thankful to be doing alright right now.
that's scary. glad you're ok.
i jumped through a bonfire that had a fresh bail of hay heaped on it once. for those that don't know (and as i quickly learned) hay dust is flamable.
at about mid leap when i felt my eyelashes curling and the hair on the back of my hand singing, i thought, "man, this is hot. maybe this wasn't as cool as i had pictured it in my mind"
so glad you're okay. i can't imagine i'd be so calm and rational in the same situation. healing thoughts and prayers coming your way!
Well, I've always said you have a fiery personality.
Holy shit!
And you were sympathizing with me over a little sleeplessness. My gosh!
I haven't read your blog in a few days. Sorry I missed this post. So, how are you doing now? Okay?
I'm reading your blog for the first time. Quite a dramatic introduction. I can't wait to see how you top this one.
Q
that happened to me once with a neighbor's bbq. unfortunately for me, my eyelashes didn't make it. do you have any idea how freaky a woman looks with no eyelashes? and they take a long time to grow back.
glad you are safe.
Thanks for all the well wishes/ and prayers.
Myste, I was so thankful that my eyelashes were spared. They dont' always come back. Although, I did realize the other day that my eyelashes are shorter, like someone cut them.
If my hair is only going to grow 1/2 inch a month...then I'm going to be waiting a good two years to not have bangs any more. Sigh.
Post a Comment